Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Of Wayward Evenings!

.... And so i pinballed out of the house even after i had made plans to plop onto my favorite couch, remote in hand, surfing through the channels and yawning in turn. (My every evening S.O.P)

I huffed off to meet my friend in the neighborhood, and we got to vastly talk about a number of issues.
My phone buzzed, i picked up and this friend of mine, Mike, on the other side of town said he would like to meet me. 'Sure!' i replied since i obviously enjoy his company. I drove to town, called him as i reached the metropolis. 'Come down to William Street, at a bar called Top Pub' he beckoned, i duly agreed.

As i slowed the car down , the first thing that hit me was so many people standing outside an obviously dingy bar, the likes you would find in the red-light district.
"Oh my God!" i said to myself as it finally dawned on me that this particular bar is quite infamous for a not so long ago episode where a deranged presidential detail army man went all hook, line and sinker and decided to annihilate everyone nearby when a "working girl" not only decided to "relieve him" of his wallet and its contents, but also wouldn't let him cop a feel. Said Army guy shreiked at all who cared to listen that he would be back, and true to his word, came back with a pistol fifteen minutes later and unloaded on all, starting with the door bouncer! Story hit the papers the next day, body count approximately 15, "gone the way of the dodo!"

I couldn't help but remember the saying someone once told me "Bakuseredde mu katale, oyomba n'ekubbo" roughly translated from my modest luganda into "You have been short-changed at the market, but are directing your fury to the road..."

Outside the bar, a bevy of prostitutes mulled freely with a number of rough looking youths swigging cheap hard liquor out of plastic bottles, bleary eyed cats and dogs warily crept by underneath.

...And so i entered the bar, trepidation, heart palpitating, beads of sweat coursing down my cheeks in prescience of another macabre episode.
Mike was waiting for me at the entrance, wide grin on his face.
'Do i really know this guy?' i asked myself. 'What with the places he hangs out in!' i further thought.
Mike had invited his other pal Jason. Jason turned out to be as snotty as i was, with his nose permanently upturned.
The place was jammed with patrons packed like sardines in a tin, dingy red lights everywhere, slipshod looking people with their empty eyes, brash waitresses charging through the crowd, expertly balancing bottles on old trays, local music blaring out of every corner interluded by the resident DJ's smarmy whimsies. Further ahead, a well worn pool table with a bunch of guys expertly sinking the balls.
'Its not safe to stay here, i thought to myself. I turned and Jason was looking at me, nodding silently as if in concordance with my inner thoughts.
Wait, did i just see a group of ladies strut out, clad in Gomesi? (Local Kiganda wear) 'Hmmmm' i mused to myself. Turned this time to comment to Jason, his cursory glance at the women said it all, so i didn't bother commenting.

'Where is Mike?' I asked Jason. He pointed me to the direction where Mike was, talking intently to a pint sized girl whose face i couldn't quite make out for she was far off and the lights were way too dingy.
Mike ambled over with the girl in tow, twisted expression on his face.
He leaned in and whispered 'This girl is my neighbour in Ntinda, she says she has to fuck me tonight.'
I turned to see the girl he was talking about and instantly understood her determination.
Short, about 4ft 8" with the tartiest looking dress i had ever seen, a dirty brown mini dress with an unkempt look, a smutty bra peeking out of the mini, a less than desirable hair style, short cropped hair with little oily frills coming down her beady forehead, to top it all up, she had the most dogged expression of someone firmly assuming "I am gonna fuck you, you know it, and so does the Universe!"
Sweat was rolling off her forehead, and she had a drunk pallor about her, in one fist, she was clutching a club beer that once belonged to Mike, and in the other calloused little fist, clutching at Mike's shirt like her life depended on it.
Jason was staring at her in utter morbid bewilderment, mouth agape, i had to sharply nudge him to stop staring.

Jason: 'Now we really have to leave this place!'
Me: 'Yes, no better time like the present!'
Mike: 'Can we wait a little while, i need to get rid of this bird'
Me:(Kampala speak) "You obviously want to chow her, otherwise you wouldn't have talked to her in the first place.'
Mike (in protest) 'No, she came onto me!' His eyes widened, while jabbing at his chest with his thumb to drive the point home.
Jason: 'Whatever man, lets move'
We ambled out.
Never happier!
Jason, Me, Mike, and unfortunately, the apparition in hot pursuit.
We got to the car, i opened the doors and slid in quickly, Jason in tow, so that Mikes "chow de Jour" wouldn't even think of entering the car. I pressed the central lock button and only did i breathe a sigh of relief, only for a short while at least.

Mike was still outside the car with the shroud, and she was making herself clear 'Where are you going?' 'You are not going anywhere without me!' Stubborn expression on her face, jaw set in a determined line, Jason and i groaning collectively inside the car. She had her hand firmly clamped down on the door, as if trying to bar his entry into the car. I heard Mike say, obviously after mustering all the courage he could, 'Are you bullying me?' half imploring, half shouting. At that point i was ready for a spectacle, probably someone was going to end up on the recieving end of a resounding slap. Girl said something inaudible, and Mike opened the car door, timing my central unlock. The girls gall blew on as she strode to my side of the car and screamed 'Open the door!' Mike and Jason half sung in unison 'Drive!' and off i sped!

We got to Steak out a few minutes later and after quickly scanning the place, i knew i was home, back to where i belonged, back to my comfort zone, and comfort food as you may add!

After a few hours, the ghoul strode into the bar, drunken haze, one cheek streaked as though she had been slapped, i pointed her out to Mike who recoiled at the sight,
'Who let her in!' but to thank our Heavens, she strode by and a few moments later, ended up on the dancefloor gyrating with some wayward looking boy, i smiled. I couldn't help but agree that her tenacity would get her what she wanted, Sex, with someone, anyone that night!

Mike let out a sigh of relief.

I respected her singlemindedness!

6 comments:

  1. lol, apparition? ghoul? the feminists will have a field day with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe you me! This girl was quite something to (negatively) reckon with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike didn't seem to mind at least initially in your absentia!
    The Steak still rocks? Have good memories of the place. Unfortunately I am in self imposed exile from bars. Retired from alcohol with full pension and gratuity! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Mike opened the car door, timing my central unlock".... "Mike and Jason half sung in unison 'Drive!'"
    We've all been there thinking..."not in MY CAR you're not!", making the quickest escape from the thing,..
    You had me dying there, I was there I could see you, I could smell the Harpy's perspiration, I was screaming DRIIIIVE in unison....Great, just great

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Citizenoftheworld!

    Meanwhile, what do you think of Zadie Smith's book 'White teeth?'

    isn't it just great? And she is so young! I aspire to be....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Icearc, steak still rocks, but i bow my head in sorrow when i read today's daily 'Bars to close by 10.00pm' cause i was just beginning to love the alcohol....

    ReplyDelete