Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Diets!

Ok, i know there are as many diet plans as there are spam emails in my inbox, and believe me, those are MANY. However, i cannot help but wonder about some of the success stories i have read about on the internet and the efficacies of the diets thereof.
To start off, i do not have a weight problem, i am as fit as should be, with no pouring midsections or God forbid, double chins...
That said, i do miss my body as it were at 21. Lean and spry. (You know the typical 21 year old body) I am 100% sure there is a medical acronym for my 'condition' (missing the 21 year old body), though i don't care to find out.
Just like the man who is scared of heights, or the girl who shreiks when she sees a grass-hopper.
I know, when you turn 25 or thereabouts, your body fills out. Suddenly the attractively gaunt cheekbones get rounded, the rack as it were gets a little softer, you know...

Forget about those freaks of nature, those abberations, the skinny ones who eat and dont gain a single kilo. We all know life has its variations, and those are natures' ways of showing off her versatility!

I have gone through a couple of phases, when i was 26, i used to run the marathon like the wind, with stamina on track that would so badly be envied by a 65yr old man in the bedroom.
I recently turned 28 and all i can think about is diets!
Yes, i know the adage, the horror stories, 'He(or she) dieted all his life, and instead became a compulsive overeater, gained 10 stone and was unhappy for the rest of his life'
The nutritionists who crow menacingly, 'You have to eat healthy, the body needs this, and that....'
Where do i draw the much needed line separating healthy from fattening?
I have friends who have all sorts of ridiculous information about food 'If you cut down on your carbohydrates, your teeth will fall out!' That is lame as it is incredulous!

I and have read lots of literature about the body, and what it needs. Put simply, give the body more than it needs and it will store up for the winter! If you give your body more carbohydrates than it needs, it will convert them into fat and store them in your midsection!
This sustains the efficacy of the low-carb diet. It is splashed all over the internet. Pros and cons, sensationalists and cynics alike all sing the same song.
I am a recent convert.
Shoot me someone, please!!

I am intently studying 'The Atkins diet.'
Major Pro - I absolutely dont snack between meals because i eat mostly proteins. As they get digested slower, cravings for sugar are not as frequent.

Major Pro - I enjoy all my steak and vegetables, my favorite anyway, i dont cringe when i see fatty meat or chicken.... and ignore most of the complex carbohydrates like processed foods (flour, etc)

Major Con - The ketones (these are generated as a result of breakdown of stored fat into ready energy for the body, in absence of carb energy) cause a slight bad breath odor in the first days of the restrictive diet stage, but this clears if you drink lots of water.

Major Con - In the first two weeks, no ALCOHOL! now why did they have to go and do that! Well, Atkins says alcohol can cause erratic blood sugar levels, cravings etc, and as we all know, beer has lots of carbs, spirits don't help either cause the mixers usually have sugar in them, and these will knock you straight out of ketosis.

It always gets difficult to stick to one diet, i know, but it is healthy to adopt a certain way of living (WOL), eating what your body needs, and not what it wants NOW.
I have always challenged my body to do things, since it is MINE, (i am stressing the possessive) I want to be able to lose 5 Kilos to fit into something for the weekend, and gain 5 kilos again when i want to. Isn't that amazing?

So i should say, hello 21!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I told you this but I am going to a 70s party as ... Diana Ross. That means that I have to fit in size 32 skinny bell bottom jeans and reduce my thighs by whatever drastic means necessary.

    My solution? Reducing my exercise; I now lift my spoon, fork and knife fewer times at lunch time.

    ReplyDelete